[Openswan Users] Openswan locking all traffic

Philippe BONVIN - EDSI-Tech Sàrl p.bonvin at edsi-tech.com
Sun May 3 15:31:12 EDT 2009

Hello,

I've a problem with Openswan on Debian Lenny. (I'm not a VPN expert)

When I run /etc/init.d/ipsec start I can see for 20 sec in /var/log/
auth.log
"vpn" #1: initiating Main Mode
and right after
"vpn" #1: ERROR: asynchronous network error report on eth0 (sport=500)
for message to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 500, complainant yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:
No route to host [errno 113, origin ICMP type 3 code 1 (not
authenticated)]
"vpn" #2: responding to Main Mode
"vpn" #2: transition from state STATE_MAIN_R0 to state STATE_MAIN_R1
"vpn" #2: STATE_MAIN_R1: sent MR1, expecting MI2
"vpn" #2: ERROR: asynchronous network error report on eth0 (sport=500)
for message to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 500, complainant yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:
No route to host [errno 113, origin ICMP type 3 code 1 (not
authenticated)]

and right after this line, all network connexions are locked. No ping
answers, nothing.

The server has two statics IP addresses and I want to access the
network 10.0.200.0/24, which doesn't have router and Internet
connectivity.

The remote side is a Netgear FVX538 with a dynamic IP.

My ipsec.conf:

conn vpn
     type=tunnel
     authby=secret
     keyexchange=ike
     aggrmode=no
     auto=start
     pfs=yes
     pfsgroup=modp1024
     ikelifetime=3600s
     esp=3des-sha1
     ike=3des-sha1
     keylife=28800s

     # LOCAL
     left=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
     leftsubnet=10.0.200.0/24
     leftid=mylocalserver
     # REMOTE
     right=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
     rightsubnet=10.10.10.0/24
     rightnexthop=%defaultroute   # might be not necessary
     rightid=myremoteNetGearFVX538

I don't understand why it locks everything, can someone help me ?
Many thanks for your help.