[Openswan Users] Running Openswan in CentOS 5

openswan at thefeds.net openswan at thefeds.net
Mon Feb 2 19:04:50 EST 2009

I am using Openswan with CentOS 5.0 with the latest (5.2) kernel.

I am using the latest testing release as it fixed some problems compared
to the latest stable release. It is easy to compile and RPM using the
included Fedora spec file. I tried using the CentOS provided version but I
had a lot of rekeying problems.

I am not using L2TP, I am using a GRE tunnel.

My configs look like:

config setup
     # NAT-TRAVERSAL support, see README.NAT-Traversal
     nat_traversal=no
     # On CentOS 5 there appears to be a problem identifying the protocol
stack
     # to use. So we give it a clue.
     protostack=netkey
     # turn ip_forward on and off depending on whether we have any VPNs
     forwardcontrol=yes

conn tun01a01d
     left=<lip>
     right=<rip>