[Openswan Users] "/usr/local/sbin/ipsec setup --start" doesn't return the prompt on Ubuntu 9.10 when complied from source.

phearnomore phearnomore at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 19:46:48 EST 2009

Hello.

I have two versions of Openswan installed on my fresh Ubuntu 9.10 system:

assiduus at ubuntu:~$ /usr/local/sbin/ipsec --version
Linux Openswan U2.6.23/K2.6.31-14-generic-pae (netkey)
See `ipsec --copyright' for copyright information.

and

assiduus at ubuntu:~$ /usr/sbin/ipsec --version
Linux Openswan U2.6.22/K2.6.31-14-generic-pae (netkey)
See `ipsec --copyright' for copyright information.

The first one is the faulty one, compiled from source. The second one
was installed with: "assiduus at ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install
openswan".

Now the problem: when I run the first version of the program I don't
get the prompt back while ^C doesn't seem to cancel Openswan's
operation:

assiduus at ubuntu:~$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/ipsec setup --start
ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec U2.6.23/K2.6.31-14-generic-pae...
^C

but

assiduus at ubuntu:~$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/ipsec setup --status
IPsec stopped
but...
has /var/run/pluto/ipsec.info file!
An normal Pluto is active?

The other ("apt-get'ed") version works like a charm. What I can add is
that I didn't modify any files (ipsec.conf, ipsec.secrets) but still,
one version works, the other does not and both versions use them. One
more thing, I did actually try to compile the 2.6.22 version from
source to see if it's gonna work just like the one I got with apt-get
but it didn't. No prompt returned just like with the .23 one. I tried
looking this problem up here and there and I did come accross someone
mentioning a bug in Ubuntu relating to the /etc/init.d/ipsec script
(which obviously fails just like the "/usr/local/sbin/ipsec setup
--start" command) but it didn't make much sense to me. I can supply
any /var/log files if needed.

Thanks and cheers,

--
phearnomore