[Openswan Users] ipsec woes for private lan testing

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Thu Sep 25 11:50:59 EDT 2008

Brent,

Here is my suggestion. Assuming you set RSA keys for both computers.
See doc/install.html and doc/config.html in openswan source tarball.

If you have a gateway ip address, doesn't matter if it's a dedicated
gateway/router, just that you have a default route on both linuxes,
then this should work.

ipsec.conf:
version 2.0

config setup
	interfaces="ipsec0=eth0" # if using klips
	oe=off # openswan 2.6.x

include /etc/ipsec.d/examples/no_oe.conf # openswan 2.4.x

conn testing
	left=192.168.11.10
	leftrsasigkey=0sAQNt...
	right=192.168.11.20
	rightrsasigkey=0sAQNs...
	auto=add

If you trully have no default route/gateway set then you may also need.
	leftnexthop=%direct

Obviously, swith left/right on the other linux box, setting left=local,
and right=remote. This is standard practice, although it will work either way.

This is a basic RSA setup no subnets just host to host tunnel.

Note also, this is a full ipsec.conf except for the left/rightrsasigkey= lines,
which need your public keys, you shouldn't need to add or change anything else.

ipsec auto --up testing # to start the tunnel.

If you need additional help, send us at least an ipsec status, or an
ipsec barf > ipsec_barf.txt which should contain all your settings we may need
to troubleshoot for you.

Peter McGill
IT Systems Analyst
Gra Ham Energy Limited