[Openswan Users] Tunnel Up, can ping by IP, not by hostname

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat Sep 20 16:28:53 EDT 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Dave Vree wrote:

> At any rate, once connected, I can ping the IP addresses of hosts inside
> my company (e.g. 192.168.253.11). However, neither the command line nor
> samba will recognize any of the machines by hostname (e.g. fileserv12 or
> fileserv12.mycomp.int). Therefore all of my Nautilus samba shortcuts
> are not working.
>
> Is this a DNS problem? I know the IP addresses of our corporate DNS
> server, but don't know what to do. We are running a Windows domain, but
> my Ubuntu box is not on the domain.

A quick first check would be to add the work DNS IP to /etc/resolv.conf.
Though samba might be a seperate issue, since you might need to enable
WINS everywhere in the office (and on your samba machine) to get it
working. Though my time of using Samba dates to Windows 2000, so there
might be other ways of dealing with these things now. Anyone has more
up to date info?