[Openswan Users] Tunnel Up, can ping by IP, not by hostname

Dave Vree mailing51 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 23:09:37 EDT 2008

Sorry for the newbie question here.  After weeks of playing around with
the settings, I can finally establish a VPN tunnel from my road warrior
laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 to my company's sonicwall 4100 running
XAuth.  (The big trick turned about to be enabling a setting on the
sonicwall to allow clients to connect without forcing DHCP.)

At any rate, once connected, I can ping the IP addresses of hosts inside
my company (e.g. 192.168.253.11).  However, neither the command line nor
samba will recognize any of the machines by hostname (e.g. fileserv12 or
fileserv12.mycomp.int).  Therefore all of my Nautilus samba shortcuts
are not working.

Is this a DNS problem?  I know the IP addresses of our corporate DNS
server, but don't know what to do.  We are running a Windows domain, but
my Ubuntu box is not on the domain.

Any help is much appreciated.