[Openswan Users] Problem : unregister_netdevice: waiting for ipsec0 to become free

Jean-Michel Bonnefond pompon2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:07:52 EDT 2008

Thanks Paul,

First sorry for the delay to answer.

You're right it come from the 2.4.13 klips stack. I've compiled 2 versions,
using the same server, same kernel, same openswan version and here is the
result :

localhost:~# ipsec --version
Linux Openswan U2.4.13/K2.4.12 (klips)
See `ipsec --copyright' for copyright information.
localhost:~# /etc/init.d/ipsec stop
ipsec_setup: Stopping Openswan IPsec...
localhost:~# ipsec --version
Linux Openswan U2.4.13/K(no kernel code presently loaded)
See `ipsec --copyright' for copyright information.

localhost:~# ipsec --version
Linux Openswan 2.4.13 (klips)
See `ipsec --copyright' for copyright information.
localhost:~# /etc/init.d/ipsec stop
Message from syslogd at localhost at Wed Sep 17 15:35:02 2008 ...
localhost kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for ipsec0 to become free.
Usage count = -2

However there is not a lot of differencies between the two versions, appart
some special code for kernel 2.6.24, and the proc_net renamed LINUX_PROCNET,
so I'm a bit confusing.

I'll try to make some test modifiyng the code tommorrow.

Jean-Michel.