[Openswan Users] Problem : unregister_netdevice: waiting for ipsec0 to become free

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Sep 16 10:46:24 EDT 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Jean-Michel Bonnefond wrote:

> I'm currently using openswan 2.4.9 over a self compiled linux kernel 2.6.18 with the Klips stack instead of netkey.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my kernel to the debian patched kernel 2.6.18 (wich include security patches that I need) and I
> would like to upgrade openswan in the same time.
>
> I'm not sure of which new version to choose.

Pick 2.4.13. It should work fine on 2.6.18 kernels. Unless you need IKEv2 functionality (not likely) or hardware
crypto offload.

> What is the major differences between openswan 2.4.13 and 2.6.16?

2.4.13 is the last of the 2.4 series. 2.6.x still has a few small bugs. It might not hit you, but you
can avoid them for now by using 2.4.13.

> Are the 2.6.x development versions leadind to v3 ?

3.x is currently a side branch. Ideally it will merged into the 2.6 tree. But it all depends a bit on where
crypto hardware acceleration in the Linux kernel is going to. (OCF vs acrypto)

> localhost:~# /etc/init.d/ipsec stop
> Message from syslogd at localhost at Tue Sep 16 08:01:43 2008 ...
> localhost kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for ipsec0 to become free. Usage count = -6

That looks like a KLIPS bug.... You could try comparing some code, but it's probably not an easy
bug to find and fix.