[Openswan Users] SOLVED (partially): VPN client IP addressing configuration issues

Rolando Zappacosta zappacor at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Sep 9 05:06:28 EDT 2008

> >  However, most of the hosts I need to reach are on the
> AAA.0.0.0/8 but if I configure:
> >        right=AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD
> >        rightsubnet=AAA.0.0.0/8
> > I loose all the connectivity as I loose the
> reachability of the GW itself.
> >
> >  How can I deal with this?
> >  Can I add a whole subnet with the excpetion of a
> single host (the GW)?
>
> Add a 'passthrough' connection. See
> /etc/ipsec.d/examples/passthrough.conf

Hi Paul,

could find some info after several hours of surfing and blind-trying and... succeeded!!!!!!!!!

This is how my ipsec.conf looks now:
version 2.0

config setup

conn Intranet
        aggrmode=yes
        ike=3des-sha1-modp1024
        authby=secret
        pfs=no
        left=%defaultroute
        leftxauthclient=yes
        leftmodecfgclient=yes
        modecfgpull=yes
        right=AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD
        rightsubnet=AAA.0.0.0/8
        auto=add

include /etc/ipsec/ipsec.d/examples/no_oe.conf

conn passthrough
        left=%defaultroute
        leftnexthop=192.168.1.1
        right=AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD
        rightsubnet=AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD/32
        type=passthrough
        authby=never
        auto=route

So, the only routing pending point now is how can I get rid off of:
leftnexthop=192.168.1.1
in a way it gets automatically configured? (it depends on whether I access the Internet through my 3G USB device or my WLAN (in which case it also depends on where...)

Regards and thank you all for helping me with all this,
Rolando