[Openswan Users] Auto Negotiation is not happening

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Mon Nov 24 09:03:03 EST 2008

Ravi,

This is explained in the man page.

Use auto=route.
With auto=route the tunnel configuration will be "added", but the tunnel
will not connect until there is some traffic which is destined for the
remote end.

When auto=start the tunnel configuration is "added" and the tunnel is
"started" (connected) right away.

When auto=add the tunnel configuration is "added" but does not connect
until the other end requests a connection or the admin manually
initiates a connection with ipsec auto --up ...

Note, unless you really need the connection only up when you use it, I
suggest using auto=start for an always on connection, in my experience
this works much better than auto=route.

Turn off klipsdebug= and plutodebug= they do not help 99.9% of the time
they only drown your hard disk with logs. Only turn them on when asked
by a developer. The normal logs are usually sufficient for troubleshooting.

You configuration says your using des (single des), I hope this is a
typo, single des is not secure (and openswan will not use it by
default), use 3des or aes.

Peter