[Openswan Users] Version combinations of OpenSwan and KLIPS

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Nov 6 12:23:56 EST 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Roger Schreiter wrote:

> hm, KLIPS seems to solve a lot of problems.
> Can I combine a 2.6.x OpenSwan version with KLIPS 2.4.X?

Probably, but why?

> These are the respective most recent versions in OpenSwan.org's
> download section.

every version of openswan ships with klips in its source tree.

export KERNELSRC=/your/linux/source/tree
make module module_install

or alternatively:

make kpatch

> Is there any relation between the minor number for
> kernel, OpenSwan and KLIPS?

Not with the kernel. that's just an unfortunate coincidence.

> Is kernel 2.6.25 or newer generally a problem for OpenSwan?

2.6.25 should be fine. "or newer" is always a challange with the
ever changing kernel API's in each new release.