[Openswan Users] What would cause ipsec auto --up {tunnelname}to hang?

Greg Scott GregScott at InfraSupportEtc.com
Thu May 29 17:23:24 EDT 2008

So does anyone have any ideas on my original question - why ipsec auto
--up would hang instead of returning an error status?

The application is backup routing.  The left and right sides are
connected via dedicated telcem circuits using routers I have no control
over.  But I can ping them.  My box pings the other side's gateway and
starts up an IPSEC tunnel if that gateway doesn't answer.  When the
primary telco circuit comes back up - when I can ping the other side's
gateway again - I shut down the IPSEC tunnel.

The problem I ran into was, from one side, after doing a couple of ups
and downs, ipsec auto --up decided to hang.

Thanks

- Greg Scott