[Openswan Users] VPN over Dialup/DSL

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Wed Mar 19 09:16:54 EDT 2008

According to Intel the IXP425 is an ARM based processor.
The Openswan website says ARM is supported.

So go ahead and download the source tarball and give it a try.
http://openswan.org/code/
Version 2.4.11 is the latest stable release.
Read through the documentation in doc/ (index.html is good start).

The key points in your configuration is that your making an
Openswan to Openswan connection, this is the easiest kind.
The information in the doc folder should provide you what you need.

What computer type (Windows Client) you have on either side of the
VPN is irrelevant, any using TCP/IP networking will work.
The method used to connect the two GW's before VPN is started,
doesn't matter much either, so long as it can support TCP/IP.
If your NATing the traffic it takes a little bit more work.

Not sure if you meant to say your connecting your modems to the
internet, or that your calling the other modem directly over the
phone line. Again it doesn't matter.

If you have any trouble post your questions back to the list.

Peter McGill