[Openswan Users] Kernel option for default boot to KLIPS in place of NETKEY

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat Jun 14 15:27:08 EDT 2008

> I tried to setup two servers running Openswan 2.4.12 with the following :-

> CONFIG_NET_KEY=m

> CONFIG_KLIPS=m

> For gateway# 1, it boots to KLIPS (by using ipsec --version) that is I
> want it to be. My problem is that gateway #2 always boot to NETKEY. I
> hope someone to advise what determine if the gateways boot to KLIPS or
> NETKEY? How to set the kernel options so that the gateway always boot to
> KLIPS instead of NETKEY?

For openswan 2.4.x, it works like this:

1 check if we have KLIPS (built inline)
2 check if we have NETKEY (built inline)
3 try modprobe'ing KLIPS and see if we have KLIPS module
3 try modprobe'ing NETKEY and see if we have NETKEY module
4 abort with fail

for openswan 2.6.x, there is a config option protostack= you can set.

 	protostack=netkey

without the protostack option, it falls back to 2.4.x behaviour.

For you it looks like KLIPS on the second box is failing, and therefor
it falls back to netkey.