[Openswan Users] KLIPS compilation fails: openswan-2.5.17, linux-2.6.23.17

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Jun 10 22:55:51 EDT 2008

> I was able to compile and install  (with NAT-T and KLIPS) openswan 2.4.12
> last week (CentOS 5.1). I tried installing 2.6.14 with a clean kernel tree
> (yes the full tree this time) and everything appeared to go like clock work.
> Nat patch applied fine (a couple lines of fuzz but applied successfully) and
> every thing built and installed fine but when I start IPSEC I get the
> following:
>
> ipsec_setup: kernel appears to lack IPsec support (neither CONFIG_KLIPS or
> CONFIG_NET_KEY are set)

So either you did not build the klips as module or inline, or did not install
it, or you are running a different kernel? (or we have a bug)

> When I did the build oldconfig I was asked about the KIPLS compatible nat-t
> and answered yes, everything seemed to build just like 2.6.14 but I have

Did you see any other KLIPS options in your .config ?

Note that you have to do one of the following two, but not both:

- patch klips into the kernel using make kpatch (make kpatch)
- build klips as kernel module outside the kernel tree (make module)