[Openswan Users] multi-hop wireless communication with openswan

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat Jun 7 19:54:44 EDT 2008

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008, graceofblue wrote:

>    I'm a postgraduate student in NUPT in China. The subject of my research work is to provide the optional end-to-end security feature for wireless communication through gateway via IPsec. And now, there are my questions below:

Check out www.wavesec.org, a method of using freeswan/openswan and Opportunistic Encryption that
does this type of thing.

>   Could Openswan 2.4.9 support multi-hop wireless communication?

I am still not sure what you mean with multihop. IPsec is endpoint-to-endpoint encryption. If you
want more advanced things, perhaps checking the IETF mobike and/or btns working groups might
be an idea.

>    Currently, I installed Redhat 9 (Kernel 2.4.20) in VMware Workstation ACE Edition 6.0, compiling with Openswan 2.4.9, what should I do? Also where to find the detaied design documents( such as function discription, architecture figure etc.) for Openswan? I find the documents in /doc and /docs of Openswan directory are not so up to date, mostly only for freeswan while not Openswan.

There is no better documentation I am afraid. Though you will find some talks about
design at talks we've given at: http://www.xelerance.com/engagements/