[Openswan Users] iPhone VPN Connection

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:31:56 EDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Jon Blackie wrote:

> I use a similar arrangement to provide connectivity for my laptops to
> the office from home. Since I can be on one of several PCs I just use
> openswan and some appropriate firewall rules. My suggestion as far as
> DNS is concerned would be to look into dnsmasq. I have added an entry
> into the dnsmasq config to resolve pcs on my work domain by using the
> DNS server in the office across the VPN. I don't have ssh available
> or I
> would show you an example.

Your setup will work when I'm at home, but at home I can have all the
access I want anyways through simple routing.

The problem with this approach comes when I want to VPN into my home
openswan server from elsewhere. Say I'm at a starbucks and I'm using
their connection and DNS servers. I can connect through VPN, but the
starbucks DNS servers won't resolve my work hostnames. A way around
that would be to set up a publicly available DNS server that I can use
no matter what network I'm on, but my employer wouldn't be happy with
a public DNS server for the company intranet, so that won't work.

I could connect to the openswan VPN to home, then manually change the
DNS server to a work server, but that's too much effort just to be
able to check e-mail and such.

Thanks