[Openswan Users] %defaultroute not working

David Jao djao at dominia.org
Tue Jul 1 11:01:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am using Openswan to encrypt wireless network packets on my LAN (a
rather common usage scenario, as I understand it).

I have a dhcp server on 192.168.0.2 that doubles as a NAT gateway for
192.168.0.0/24.  The gateway runs freeswan-2.06, and my laptop on the
LAN runs openswan.  I am using the following configuration to encrypt
packets traveling between the laptop and the internet:

config setup

conn gateway-laptop-net
         left=192.168.0.2
         leftid=@gateway
         leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
         right=%defaultroute
         rightid=@laptop
         auto=start
         compress=no
         keyingtries=1
         ikelifetime=15m
         keylife=15m
         rekeymargin=5m
         leftrsasigkey=...
         rightrsasigkey=...

Previously, I ran openswan 2.4.9 on my laptop, and this configuration
worked perfectly.  After upgrading to 2.6.14, the same configuration
does not work anymore unless I replace %defaultroute with my laptop's IP
address (which I do not want to do, because my laptop uses dhcp, and I
do not necessarily know its IP address ahead of time).  I have been
informed that the problem is not a bug in openswan but rather is a
problem with my configuration.

Does anyone have any idea how I can configure this IPsec tunnel without
having to specify my laptop's IP address ahead of time?  Thanks!

-David