[Openswan Users] Windows XP client to OpenSwan server, esp packets are there but no ping

Tim Stowell stowellt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 03:01:15 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a windows XP SP2 client behind NAT connecting to an OpenSwan
2.4.6server with a public static IP. I attempt to connect via the
Linsys ipsec
tool, and the SA is established (all main mode and quick mode negotiations
appear to work). However, pings do not get through to the server. I've used
tcpdump and Wireshark and can tell that esp packets are both sent to the
server, received by the server, and the server sends them back to the client
and the client receives them. If the esp packets are coming back to the
client (which I assume are the encrypted ping/pong packets) I have no idea
why I can't successfully ping. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!