[Openswan Users] dhcp help

James Muir muir.james.a at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 17:20:04 EST 2008

James Muir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Openswan 2.6.19 (netkey) on ubuntu. I am trying to connect
> to my company's vpn but am having some dhcp related trouble.

It may help if I give some more details about my connection:

me at linux (192.168.100.2)

my router (192.168.100.1)

cable modem (a.b.c.d)

:
:

sonicwall (w.x.y.z)

private network (172.20.201.0/24)

By following instructions in a sonicwall tech note [1], I am able to
negotiate a tunnel with the sonicwall gateway.  I can send pings into
the tunnel, but I never receive any response; wireshark shows me that my
traffic really is entering the tunnel.

Inside the private network, there is a dhcp server: 172.20.201.32.  I
need to obtain a private ip address from this dhcp server.

Does openswan support dhcp-over-ipsec?

If not, is there some other way I might be able to speak dhcp with
172.20.201.32?

-James

[1]
http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/SonicOS_Enhanced_to_Openswan_Using_GroupVPN_with_XAUTH.pdf