[Openswan Users] dhcp help

James Muir muir.james.a at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:45:09 EST 2008

Hello,

I am using Openswan 2.6.19 (netkey) on ubuntu. I am trying to connect
to my company's vpn but am having some dhcp related trouble.

The vpn gateway is a sonicwall. I can negotiate a tunnel with the
sonicwall without any difficulty. However, it seems that the sonicwall
is not relaying my traffic into the private network. On Windows, the
sonicwall vpn client sets up a virtual network interface and configures
it by contacting a dhcp server inside the private network. I'd like this
to happen on linux as well, but I am having trouble conceptualizing how
this could be done.

On linux, I have just one physical interface, eth0. It is used to set up
my initial ipsec tunnel with the sonicawall. It is easy to set up a
virtual interface (e.g. eth0:1) on my linux box, but I don't see how to
send traffic through the existing tunnel and configure eth0:1.

I've read the dhcp-over-ipsec rfc. I suspect that, under windows, this
is what the sonicwall vpn client does. I think Openswan supports
dhcp-over-ipsec. Is this true? The file README.x509 seems to indicate
that it does, but maybe dhcp-over-ipsec support depends on which ipsec
stack you are using (i.e. KLIPS or NETKEY).

There have been a number of posts in the list archives on sonicwalls,
but I haven't seen any that discuss how to cope with dhcp. Any guidance
would be much appreciated.

thanks,

-James