[Openswan Users] openswan/xl2tpd server behind nat

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Mon Sep 3 15:18:02 EDT 2007

Hi,

03.09.2007 18:43,, Gurvinder Singh wrote::
> Hi
>
> I am using Openswan U2.4.9/K2.6.15.7 (netkey). my openswan/xl2tpd server
> is behind the nat (static ip), i m not able to connect winxp ipsec/l2tp
> client to openswan server which is also behind the nat(dynamic ip). when
> i use direct static ip on openswan server then it works but when i put
> behind the nat, its not working.  I am unable to find the problem.

I'll not discuss the configuration I'm hardly able to understand a
simple setup :-)

But, on windows, you might need a patch and will need a registry
change for IPSec to work across NAT'ing routers. See here:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/win2000xp-openswan.html#NAT-T

Using windows vista, the corresponding advice was very valuable to me
and allowed me to set up the VPN without any problems (on the client
side).

Arno

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann