[Openswan Users] Can not compile Klips with Suse 10.3

roman roman at spreeweb.de
Tue Oct 16 01:55:12 EDT 2007

> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, roman wrote:
>
> > I am more or less novice to Openswan, but have expirience in Linux
> > since Y2K. I installed the new Opensuse 10.3 with Text
> interface, and
> > the prerequisites forced in Pauls and Kens Openswan book.  I tried
> > openswan
> > 2.4.7 and 2.4.9 Building the old-config kernel runs fine, Applying
> > NAT-T patch shows some errors ( I believe due to already
> built-in Suse
> > patches) nevertheless compiling succeeds, compiling and installing
> > userland is fine, but compiling KLIPS as loadable module or
> patching
> > KLIPs into the kernel fails at the same point with thousands of
> > errors. By testing around I found that man2html is missing in Suse,
> > but installing from tarball cured that part. Testing the specs file
> > for Suse for installing as SRPM crossed some quarrells with
> variable substitution but all of that is not the reason.
>
> You did not provide any of the errors that would help us
> locate your problem.
>
> What kernel are you trying this on? Is that suse kernel based
> on a very new kernel (eg 2.6.23?)
>
> Paul

In the meantime I switched back to SuSe 10.1 with Kernel 2.6.16.13-4
The problems remain, but reading the error messages and some other
Posts in the forum helped me out.
I had to build a symbolic link to

Module.symvers  and
scripts/mod/modpost

Now building and installing KLIPS as a module in SuSe 10.1 works.
I will try to modify the specs file to have better usability in future

Roman