[Openswan Users] ipsec does not register routes

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Sun Oct 7 18:59:20 EDT 2007

Martin Krellmann wrote:

> After my openswan ipsec is now up and running (special thanks to Jacco)
> if have another little question.

For those who want to know, there were two problems (if I remember correctly).
There was a "%defaultroute cannot cope" because Openswan was not told what
interface to use. And the client was configured to use EAP-TLS instead of
CHAP.

> Why does openswan/xl2tp server not register the routes to the network
> behind the right system after the connection has established?

Which scenario do you have in mind, exactly? A road warrior setup for
Windows/Mac clients? In that case the server has no business registering
routes to the networks behind clients.

> conn trusetal.krellmann.net
>         left=192.168.10.253
>         leftcert=vpngate.potsdam.krellmann.net.pem
>         leftprotoport=17/1701
>         leftsubnet=192.168.10.0/24
>         right=trusenkrell.dyndns.org
>         rightcert=vpngate.trusetal.krellmann.net.pem
>         rightprotoport=17/1701
>         rightsubnet=192.168.178.0/24

This is no road warrior setup. Are both vpngates running Openswan?
Then you are probably better off with pure IPsec, leaving L2TP
out of the equation.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl