[Openswan Users] Openswan Installation: Help

mohamed mydeen abmmydeen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 05:50:20 EST 2007

Hi All,
I need your help in getting clear about the openswan installation properly.

I used the following commands to compile from source openswan-2.4.10.tar.gz

tar zxvf openswan-2.4.10.tar.gz
cd openswan-2.4.10
make programs
make install

I have installed gmp and gmp-devel packages in my system.  My system running
with Linux SuSE 10.1

I got the following output. I think openwan is installed but not running by
seeing pluto is not running from the following output also IPsec Stack is
also not installed.
linux-susi:/mohamed/openswan-2.4.10 # ipsec verify
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                   [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.4.10/K(no kernel code presently loaded)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                              [FAILED]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [DISABLED]
  ipsec showhostkey: file `/etc/ipsec.secrets' does not exist
Checking that pluto is running                                      [FAILED]
  whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl")
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding          [FAILED]
  whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl")
Checking for 'ip' command                                          [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
Opportunistic Encryption Support                                  [DISABLED]
linux-susi:/mohamed/openswan-2.4.10 #

Any patch for KLIPS or NETKEY should I add ?
Expecting reply from any one of you pl...

Thanks & Regards,

Muhammad Muhyiddeen A