[Openswan Users] Trying to connect OpenSwan to SonicWall.

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:10:02 EDT 2007

I have been unable to get Sonicwall with XAUTH and Openswan to play nicely
together and don't know the root cause. I haven't had the time to setup some
alternative VPN boxes to see if XAUTH is broken globally with my Openswan
installation or just with Sonicwall. I know that Global VPN clients can use
it. But since using XAUTH isn't required for our setup (since I make those
rules), I just turned it off.

Another thing -- if you are requiring authenticating clients to use DHCP via
the Sonicwall, you will have issues. You can allow both static and DHCP to
be used.

Here's my current settings:

version 2.0

config setup
        plutodebug="control parsing natt private"
        nat_traversal=yes
        nhelpers=0

conn sonicwall
        type=tunnel
        left=%defaultroute
        leftnexthop=<my home gateway IP>
        leftsubnet=<my home subnet>
        leftid=<the id I used to associate the shared secret in my
ipsec.secrets file>
        right=<my Sonicwall's public IP>
        rightsubnet=<the subnet on the other side of the Sonicwall>
        rightid=<my Sonicwall's unique ID prefixed by @>
        keyingtries=0
        pfs=no
        aggrmode=no
        auto=add
        auth=esp
        ike=aes256-md5
        esp=aes256-md5
        authby=secret
        xauth=no
        keyexchange=ike

include /etc/ipsec.d/examples/no_oe.conf

Here's the posting I wrote before. Ignore the part about Raccoon. It broke
Sonicwall on my current configuration (Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty):

http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2007-March/012092.html

If your Sonicwall must have XAUTH, then you will have to solve that problem
or develop a workaround. Depending on how much leverage you have on your
setup, you could in theory have an Openswan box configured on one of your
unused public IP addresses and route that to your local subnet. You would be
bypassing your border firewall that way, but it is doable.