[Openswan Users] Tunnel in tunnel question

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Mon Jun 4 09:17:36 EDT 2007

Adding subnet's is easy, usually you use the same certificates.

Say for example your conf looks like this.

conn net-to-net
       left=66.x.x.x
       leftnexthop=%defaultroute
       leftrsasigkey=%cert
       leftcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/server.crt
       leftsubnet=10.0.0.0/24
       right=209.x.x.x
       rightnexthop=%defaultroute
       rightrsasigkey=%cert
       rightcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/remote.crt
       rightsubnet=10.0.2.0/24
       authby=rsasig
       auto=start

Change it like this.

conn net0-to-net2
       also=net-to-net-shared
       leftsubnet=10.0.0.0/24
       rightsubnet=10.0.2.0/24
       auto=start

conn net1-to-net3
       also=net-to-net-shared
       leftsubnet=10.0.1.0/24
       rightsubnet=10.0.3.0/24
       auto=start

conn net0-to-net3
       also=net-to-net-shared
       leftsubnet=10.0.0.0/24
       rightsubnet=10.0.3.0/24
       auto=start

conn net1-to-net2
       also=net-to-net-shared
       leftsubnet=10.0.1.0/24
       rightsubnet=10.0.2.0/24
       auto=start

conn net-to-net-shared
       left=66.x.x.x
       leftnexthop=%defaultroute
       leftrsasigkey=%cert
       leftcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/server.crt
       right=209.x.x.x
       rightnexthop=%defaultroute
       rightrsasigkey=%cert
       rightcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/remote.crt
       authby=rsasig

You don't need to use a shared conn, but I think putting shared
settings in one place makes things easier to change, read, etc...
Note, the shared conn must come after the conn's that include it.

Peter