[Openswan Users] Tunnel between router and web server running openswan

Langdon Stevenson langdon at lindenrow.com.au
Wed Jul 4 23:01:36 EDT 2007

Hi Paul

Thanks for the feedback.  I have specified the webserver subnet as
suggested and tried the connection.  No luck so far.

Below are my config files.  They are based on this web page (for a vigor
2900 to Freeswan connection).  I assume that there will be some
differences, but it seemed like a good starting point.

When I run:

[root at dedicated ~]# tcpdump -i eth0 -n -p udp port 500 or udp port 4500

I get the following output:
(note: "vigor" and "server" substituted for ip addresses

[root at dedicated ~]# tcpdump -i eth0 -n -p udp port 500 or udp port 4500
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
16:58:51.739338 IP vigor.isakmp > server.isakmp: isakmp: phase 1 I ident
16:58:57.724036 IP vigor.isakmp > server.isakmp: isakmp: phase 1 I ident

This output repeats forever.  So it looks like the Vigor is getting data
past the firewall, but Openswan never moves on to phase 2.

I have included my config files below.  Any comments or suggestions
would be welcomed.

Regards,
Langdon

/etc/ipsec.conf
# /etc/ipsec.conf - Openswan IPsec configuration file
#
# Manual:     ipsec.conf.5
#
# Please place your own config files in /etc/ipsec.d/ ending in .conf
version 2.0     # conforms to second version of ipsec.conf specification
# basic configuration
config setup
         interfaces=%defaultroute
         klipsdebug=none
         plutodebug=none
conn %default
         auto=start
         auth=esp
         authby=secret
         keyingtries=%forever
include /etc/ipsec.d/*.conf

/etc/ipsec.d/webserver-to-vigor.conf
conn vigor
         # LOCAL
         left=$defaultroute
         leftsubnet=webserver/32
         # REMOTE
         right=vigor
         rightsubnet=192.168.8.0/32
         pfs=no

/etc/ipsec.secrets
server vigor: PSK "my_shared_key"

This key has been set on the Vigor router as well.