[Openswan Users] Opportunistic Encryption Configuration

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Wed Jul 4 09:37:38 EDT 2007

Are you sure you want to use opportunistic encryption?
It's essentially for machines/subnets that do not "know" each
Other and are otherwise strangers can negotiate a secure tunnel.

Most people seem to disable it and use regular IPSec tunnels.
Where machines/subnets that "know" each other setup an identical
Configuration at both ends so that they can communicate.

Start by reading doc/install.html make sure you make a new key for
Each host with ipsec newhostkey.

Instructions for setting up opportunistic encryption are in
doc/quickstart.html

Instructions for normal ipsec are in doc/config.html

If you don't have the doc directory in your distribution, which may
Happen if your using a packaged version from your linux distro.
Then download the source openswan package from:
http://www.openswan.org/code/

Peter