[Openswan Users] Netgear DG834

Dale Taylor dale at bluehall.net
Mon Feb 26 16:19:44 EST 2007

Hi

Im trying to configure a netgear DG834G VPN to connect to Openswan, ive
followed the instructions for the FVS338 (as its similar) but openswan keeps
throwing the following error when adding the connection:

003 ike string error: hash_alg not found, enc_alg="3des", auth_alg="sha1",
modp="modp1024"

I cant seem to find what the error means. Also I don't think that openswan
is talking to the remote device to try and establish a connection - is there
a log anywhere, cant see one in /var/log? Im certain openswan can connect to
this device as the version used in IPCOP used to work.

Here are the settings im using on openswan:

conn someone

        type=tunnel

        authby=secret

        keyexchange=ike

        auto=start

        pfs=no

        # aggrmode=yes

        ike=3des-sha1-modp1024

        esp=3des-sha1

        # LOCAL

        left=***server public IP***

        leftsubnet=192.168.10.0/24

        leftid=me at localid.org

        # REMOTE

        right=someone.dyndns.org

        rightsubnet=192.168.254.0/24

        rightnexthop=%defaultroute

        rightid=id at remoteid.org

Secrets:

someone.dnydns.org **PUBLIC IP OPENSWAN** : PSK "**shared key***"

The netgear device has the following settings:

Policy Name: openswan

Remote VPN Endpoint: Fixed IP **servers public IP**

Local LAN: 192.168.254.0 / 255.255.255.0

Remote LAN: 192.168.10.0 / 255.255.255.0 (Connected via subnet address)

IKE: Responder Only

Exchange Mode: Main Mode (cant be changed)

DH Group: Auto (cant be changed in responder mode)

Local ID: FQUN id at remoteid.org

Remote ID: FQUN me at localid.org

Enc Alg: 3DES

Auth Alg: Auto (Cant be changed)

PSK: **shared key**

SA Lifetime: 3600

PFS: Off

Any ideas.. im open to offers??

Also anyone know any good hardware based firewalls that work very well and
are stable with openswan?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--

Dale