[Openswan Users] KLIPS and kernel 2.6.20

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Feb 22 11:21:26 EST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Mike Horn wrote:

> There are a number of issues when trying to compile a 2.6.20 kernel with
> KLIPS (Openswan 2.4.6).  I was able to put in a couple of ugly hacks to get
> the kernel to build, and ipsec works, but I know a couple of the changes I
> made aren't the "right" solution.

First of all, always try the latest kernel with the latest openswan only. Since
the kernel changes API every minor release, you WILL need that. So you should
have used openswan 2.4.7, not 2.4.6. Next, some of your fixes have been addressed
already and are in CVS. The reason we have not released this as 2.4.8 is that
we are still crashing the kernel in NAT-T mode, and we're still figuring out
why. Until that's fixed, we cannot release a new version that supports 2.6.19 or
2.6.20.

> << include/linux/net.h issues >>
>
> In the 2.6.20 kernel source the type for sock_unregister() changed from
> "int" to "void".  This is defined in include/linux/net.h and is referenced
> in net/socket.c and net/ipsec/pfkey_v2.c.  I'm not sure what the right
> solution for this is, to get it to compile I changed the type back to "int"
> and it appears to work.

I will look into this issue, I hadn't noticed this yet.

> << config.h >>
>
> Here is a list of files that require change from config.h to autoconf.h

Those fixed are already present in 2.4.7.