[Openswan Users] ipsec works for the first connection but then fails after that

Schley Andrew Kutz akutz at lostcreations.com
Mon Dec 3 17:34:46 EST 2007

I can connect from my MacBook Pro 15" OS X 10.5.1 Leopard road warrior
to my Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn 64-bit OpenSwan server with L2TPD using
PSKs perfectly the first time after I start the ipsec daemon. However,
all subsequent connections fail until I restart the daemon.

Help!

My logs and configuration files are posted on http://www.lostcreations.com/~akutz/openswan_no_workie/index.html

I have seemed to narrow the problem down to this: the ipsec daemon
cannot communicate with l2tpd after the first connection. If I restart
ipsec and stop l2tpd I get the same error I am getting on subsequent
connections. However, restarting l2tpd does not seem to be enough, I
*have* to restart ipsec. I don't even have to restart l2tpd too, just
ipsec.

Ugh.

Help! (I said it once, twice can't hurt, right? Oh wait, doing
something twice successfully is why I'm posting in the first place)

--
-a