[Openswan Users] *****SPAM***** Re: xl2tpd seems to cause packets to get mangled or disappear

Ray Overland roverland at microhardcorp.com
Thu Aug 30 17:27:07 EDT 2007

I don't know. I mean, this problem could be architecture specific, distribution specific,
build specific, kernel configuration specific, or application configuration specific. I
don't think that it is a kernel config problem or a distro related problem, I am using the
Snapgear distro, and that distro has been used in a number of other arm based products
containing Openswan. For me to set up a Linux PC and try this is a significant time/money
issue, and it remains a last resort option for me. Also, if and when I do this, I would do
it on a PC with the same horsepower as the embedded platform, 533MHz with 64M Ram.

The fact that is "mostly works" offers a me a great deal of optimism, but I was hoping
that someone might have been able to point me to an application configuration option or
build option that could be used to get this working.

In a different thread, I am also trying to get the combination of l2tpd 0.70 working with
Openswan 2.4.9, and I just finished getting rp-l2tp to cross compile, but the rpl2tpd.conf
is causing some confusion.

I am getting the "Error 737 Loopback detected" problem with Openswan 2.4.9 and l2tpd 0.70
combination, and I have tried everything in the Openswan User's mailing lists that I could
find to fix this. I am using the same openswan/l2tpd/pppd configuration that I use with
xl2tpd (that works) so I am pretty sure its not a config problem, and I am almost
convinced it can't be fixed by any simple configuration option.

I started looking at the code in network.c in l2tpd 0.70 and comparing it to xl2tpd
1.1.11, and I noticed that there was some additional processing added to packet processing
in xl2tpd (network_thread()) and I am wondering if this is causing problems with packets
getting lost or mangled. If I am feeling brave, I might modify xl2tpd so that the xl2tpd
network_thread is more like l2tpd's.

Any other suggestions or insights are much appreciated.

Ray