[Openswan Users] Openswan Linux Client to SonicWall Windows

Bas Driessen bas.driessen at xobas.com
Wed Sep 27 05:54:08 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 10:35 +0200, Francesco Peeters wrote:

> On Wed, September 27, 2006 09:40, Bas Driessen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 08:58 +0200, Francesco Peeters wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >> You'd also need to have the SNWL logs to knoe why it doesn't complete
> >> phase 2
> >>
> >> Also you'll need more info on the SNWL side, including what version of
> >> OS
> >> they are using
> >>
> >> Lastly, if they have a halfway decent version, you will *not* be able to
> >> use the GroupVPN SA, as that will require the SNWL VPN Client!...
> >>

> > Thanks Francesco. Will request the log files from the administrator.
> >
> > Can you please clarify GroupVPN SA versus VPN Client? All I need is a
> > VPN client connection. If there is a different package that is easy to
> > set up on Linux, that is the thing I want.
> >
> > Bas.
> >
> > ___
> In more recent firmwares, the GroupVPN is set up for use with the
> SonicWALL Global VPN Client (GVC).
>
> AFAIK, the GroupVPN can *only* be used with the GVC, due to stuff like
> Client Enforcing and Profile Distribution mechanisms in the SNWL box,
> unless all the enhanced GVC features are turned off in the box, and even
> then I'm not sure whether it'll work...
>
> Older versions (And that excludes anything that runs SonicOS) will be able
> to use the GroupVPN, but you'll need to have a firmware that predates the
> GVC!
>
> AFAIK the GVC is only available for Windows and Windows Mobile...
>
> In newer firmware you will need to use a separate 'box to box' vpn SA...

Thanks Francesco. On the sonicwall.com web site, there are documents as
follows:

http://www.sonicwall.com/support/pdfs/technotes/SonicOS_Enhanced_to_Openswan_Using_GroupVPN_with_XAUTH.pdf
http://www.sonicwall.com/support/pdfs/technotes/SonicOS_Enhanced_to_Openswan_Using_Main_Mode_IKE_with_PreShared_key.pdf
http://www.sonicwall.com/support/pdfs/technotes/SonicOS_Enhanced_to_Openswan_Using_Aggressive_Mode_IKE_with_PreShared_key.pdf

This indicates to me that OpenSwan can be used using GroupVPN, Main Mode
and Agressive Mode. Also since I am so close of having a VPN connecting
using OpenSwan (as in my original posting), I do believe that a
connection is possible with OpenSwan. Will gather the info from the
other side and hopefully that generates some new ideas.

Bas.