[Openswan Users] UML Test Suite

Michael Richardson mcr at xelerance.com
Wed Oct 18 17:41:15 EDT 2006

    Lists> I tried a 2.6.18.1 kernel, but I couldn't get it to compile
    Lists> due to what appeared to be issues with KLIPS (again using gcc
    Lists> 4.1.0).  I did some looking and it looked like there were
    Lists> some known issues with 2.6 & KLIPS.  Btw, is there a way to
    Lists> compile the UML environment without KLIPS support?

  I built 2.6.15 and 2.6.16.18 just now with:

gimli-[/i/hifn/2.6.0ocf] mcr 1156 %gcc -v
gcc version 4.1.2 20060814 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-11)

  This is was the #public tree, not 2.4.7.

  During the build process both a kernel with KLIPS and one without
KLIPS are built. Both will have the NAT-T patch applied.
  The one without the KLIPS is used as a base for a module-based KLIPS.

  If you just want a UML, you can do:
       bzcat kernel.tgz.bz
       cd linux-2.6.16.18
       make ARCH=um menuconfig
       make

  Here is my umlsetup.sh, for a debian etch machine. Note: it's a XenU,
and it seems that UML won't run under Xen3 XenUs, but does work on Xen2
XenuUs.  (Most annoying)

=== cut ===
# stuff
OPENSWANSRCDIR=/i/hifn/2.6.0ocf export OPENSWANSRCDIR

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/gmake ]; then
    MAKE=gmake export MAKE
fi

# space for everything:
# Just a shorthand for the following definitions.
# Can be eliminated if available space is fragmented.
UMLPREFIX=/0i/sandboxes/UMLPOOL/260ocf

# set this to someplace with at least 100Mb free.
POOLSPACE=$UMLPREFIX/umlbuild

# if you are using a 2.6 kernel,
KERNVER=26

# Set this to original kernel source.
# It will not be modified.
# Could be native build:
#KERNPOOL=/usr/src/linux
#
# or something you downloaded.
#KERNPOOL=/distros/kernel/linux-2.6.17.13
KERNPOOL=/distros/kernel/linux-2.6.16.18

# if you have a kernel that already has the NAT-T patch applies, then
# set this to false.
NATTPATCH=true

# NONINTPATCH is a patch that comes from Redhat kernels. It permits
# "make oldconfig" to complete without interacting with the user.
# I think that 2.6. kernels have this. This patch is optional, if you
# do not want it, then set it to "none".  The purpose of the patch is
# make scripts/cronjobs not hang if you run with too new a kernel.
NONINTPATCH=none

# For make check's kernel patch tests, virgin kernel sources are needed
# They will not be modified.
#KERNEL_LINUS2_0_SRC=
#KERNEL_LINUS2_2_SRC=
KERNEL_LINUS2_4_SRC=$KERNPOOL

# set this to the UML tar file, gotten from, e.g.
#     http://ftp.nl.linux.org/uml/uml-patch-2.4.18-53.bz2
#
UMLPATCH=none

# set BASICROOT this to an unpacked copy of the root file system you
# want to use.
#
# a small-ish one is at:
#     http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/freeswan/uml/
#
# umlfreeroot-5.1.tar.gz  is 17Mb, unpacks to around 50Mb.
#
# umlfreesharemini.tar.gz is 3Mb, unpacks to around 8Mb.
# umlfreeshareall.tar.gz is 6Mb, unpacks to around 26Mb.
#
# I did
#   mkdir -p $UMLPREFIX/basic-root
#   cd $UMLPREFIX/basic-root
#   nftp -o - http://www.openswan.org/download/umlrootfs/umlswanroot-30.tar.gz | tar xzvf -
#  (or ncftp, or whatever your favorite program is)
#
# There is an advantage to having this on the same partition as
# $POOLSPACE, as hard links can be used.
#
BASICROOT=/0i/uml/root

# the mini /usr/share has Canada zoneinfo and "en" locale only.
# the all one has everything from the original UML debian root.
# I run debian, so I can just use my native /usr/share!
SHAREDIR=/usr/share

# note that "nic" and "sec" are the same host in different configurations
REGULARHOSTS='sunrise sunset nic carrot beet sec pole'
OPENSWANHOSTS='east west japan road north'

# tell system location of special tcpdump, if any
#export TCPDUMP="/usr/local/sbin/tcpdump"

# we always use OBJ directories for UML builds.
USE_OBJDIR=true export USE_OBJDIR

# comment this out to signify that you've customized this script
#echo "please create a umlsetup.sh" ; exit 99

REGRESSRESULTS=$UMLPOOL/results

- --
]            Bear: "Me, I'm just the shape of a bear."          |  firewalls  [
] mcr at xelerance.com      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[