[Openswan Users] OpenSwan and high availability

Norbert Wegener nw at sbs.de
Tue Mar 28 16:12:23 CEST 2006

We use dns for this purpose. With a relative simple setup we have had
100% reliability for more than two years.
Three gateways in three different locations, each of them connected to
the internet via different providers.
The clients reach the gateways via their dns names.
All authoritative nameserver for the domain run only on those three
gateways.
All the gateways resolve the names to their specific ipaddress.
Every gateway does various checkst:  whether it is still connected to
the internet/intranet, dns resolution works, ippool availability etc.
When it discovers an error, the named is stopped. Because of ttls of 100
seconds, in case of a failure no dns cache has information about that
addressresolution after that period.
As mentioned, this worked reliable for us for a long period.

Norbert