[Openswan Users] OpenSwan and high availability

Laurent CARON lcaron at apartia.fr
Tue Mar 28 15:07:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

I was wondering about the best way to achieve the following goal:

- Have a high availability VPN.

Here is my setup

2 different locations connected through an openswan on the gateway of
each site.
The gateway of each site has 2 different internet connections, allowing
us to have one connection down without too much trouble.

What I'd like to do basically is to achieve the same goal even if a
server goes down.

Since i have 2 servers hooked to the internet on each location, this
won't be a problem.

The most "obvious" way would be to use heartbeat to detect if a node is
down.

I'm wondering if it is possible (and how) to achieve the same goal only
using openswan, by having two active tunnels at the same time for example.

Thanks

Laurent