[Openswan Users] SNAT before IPSec, save my soul.

Snitgen, John John.Snitgen at tnsi.com
Fri Mar 24 08:48:53 CET 2006

I have been trying to accomplish the same thing and have not had success yet.  Paul suggested 'leftsourceip=' for my particular scenario, but that turned out to only work for packets originating from the box itself, not for packets on the left subnet.

Here is my scenario as described previously:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Snitgen, John wrote:

> Linux box (running version 2.6.14.4, Openswan 2.4.4) with a local loopback interface with IP address 10.1.1.1, and an ethernet interface with IP address 192.168.1.2
> PC with IP address 192.168.1.1, connected via hub to the Linux box ethernet interface
> Linux box ipsec.conf: leftsubnet=10.1.1.1/32, rightsubnet=10.2.2.0/24
>
> If I ping from the Linux box using the command 'ping -I 10.1.1.1 10.2.2.76' it successfully traverses the IPsec tunnel, the ping appears to originate from 10.1.1.1, and I get reply back across the tunnel.  This confirms that the IPsec tunnel is working like it should (according to these rules - leftsubnet=10.1.1.1/32, rightsubnet=10.2.2.0/24).
>
> Now here's my problem - I want to ping/connect a TCP socket from the PC to 10.2.2.76, and have it appear to originate from address 10.1.1.1 across the IPsec tunnel.  Is this possible over an IPsec tunnel?  Using iptables?  How is it accomplished?

leftsourceip=10.1.1.1

Paul