[Openswan Users] Re: need help related to DPD

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Mar 24 16:19:53 CET 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, utkarsh shah wrote:

>     i would like to know exact difference between dpdaction=hold/clear/restart

from the ipsec.conf man page:

       dpdaction     When a DPD enabled peer is declared  dead,  what  action
                     should  be  taken.  hold (default) means the eroute will
                     be put into %hold status, while clear means  the  eroute
                     and  SA  with both be cleared. dpdaction=clear is really
                     only usefull on the server of a Road Warrior config.

>     if we select type=tunnel at one end and transport at other, based on initiator it selects type.. does it allow such behaviour.

Please first try to just specify the proper type of the tunnel, so if you use
transport mode, please use type=transport. In pre 2.4.5rcX versions, there
was a bug with combining type=transport and rightsubnet=vhost:%priv which is
needed for NAT-T. In that case, you may comment out type=transport, but when
you upgrade, you will have to put it back in.