[Openswan Users] ~~Help needed in configuring VPN~~

Mohammed Abdul Azeem abdul at riskspan.com
Wed Mar 1 10:49:21 CET 2006

Hi,

Iam new to ipsec and VPN terminology. I have decided to set up a linux
vpn server in my network, so that the roaming users or laptop users from
their residence can log into the network. But I have a lot of questions
on how to proceed.

1) where to place the VPN server on my network ? My requirements are
that i cannot install the VPN server on my firewall machine. So can i
configure another linux firewall in the same network and install the vpn
server on the same machine ?

2) I need to use the RSA keying method.

3) In the ipsec.conf file, what should i specify in the config part. Let
me know if the below mentioned settings are ok for a config file.

config setup
interfaces="ipsec0=eth0"
klipsdebug=none
plutodebug=none
plutoload=%search
plutostart=%search
plutowait=no

4) And for the "conn" part in the conf file, what parameters do i need
to specify?

5) It would be great if you could also let me know the settings on the
client side ( i mean the windows laptop client )

Thanks in advance,
Abdul.