[Openswan Users] Multiple adsl and leftnexthop use

Federico fviel at comune.belluno.it
Mon Jun 5 14:45:21 CEST 2006

Hello,
I'm still fighting with the multiple dsl vpn problem. I search how to do,
and follow Openusers suggestions coming from my first post but I did not
manage to get out.
So I have better to re-explain my problem.

I got the following conf:

                                                              ________
                                          +------------+        /
                                          |            |  ADSL |
                            +-------------+ Provider 1 +-------
        __                  |             |     GW1    |     /
    ___/  \_         +------+-------+     +------------+    |
  _/        \__      |     eth1     |                      /
 /             \     |              |                      |
| Local network -----+eth0 VPN  GW  |                      |     Internet
 \_           __/    |              |                      |
   \__     __/       |     eth2     |                      \
      \___/          +------+-------+     +------------+    |
                            |             |            |     \
                            +-------------+ Provider 2 +-------
                                          |    GW2     | HDSL  |
                                          +------------+        \________

On ADSL (Slow but Flat)I route all Internet (http, ftp, etc.) traffic.
On HDSL link (Fast but Leased Line) I want to use Openswan in L2tp/Ipsec
(=>Road Warrior => no static route applicable as in a IPSEC GW-GW conf!)

Obviously on VPN GW the default gw is GW1 (route add default gw GW1)
On the other hand I want to redirect the IPSEC (say generated in response of
connections  initiated from any IP) to GW2 and hence it MUST born on eth2!!
I Thought it was possible to do that using the leftnexthop directive to let
ipsec packet born from eth2 and travel through  GW only for ipsec traffic,
but I didn't manage to do this. VPN start correctly but only if I use GW2 as
default gw.
I read the ipsec.conf manual but perhaps I didn't understand the use of
leftnexthop directive.... Could anyone explain that better than
documentation?
And Could anyone suggest a solution for this kind of problem please?
Thank you in advance.

Best Regards
FV

Sorry, I come back to the office today...