[Openswan Users] A quick question

ihsanturkmen at hedefalliance.com.tr ihsanturkmen at hedefalliance.com.tr
Fri Jun 2 18:12:09 CEST 2006

Hi..
There are two VPN types. One is transport mode (host-to-host) and the
other is tunnel mode (network-to-network)  . If you want to make a
network-to-network  VPN , you need two network interfaces on each side  ,
one for external network and the other for the internal network.Interfaces
do not have to be ethernet, any other type of interface wellcomes. .,You
don't have to have a public ip address either . It is not a must.

If you need to make a host-to-host VPN, you don't need two network
interfaces.

İhsan Türkmen
Hedef Alliance Holding A.Ş.
Bilgi Sistemleri Direktörlüğü

Namık Kemal Cad. Göztepe Mah.
Karanfil Sok. No: 62
34550 Bağcılar / İstanbul/TR
Tel : +90 (212) 445 50 95
Fax: +90 (212) 445 97 54

"Can Akalin" <canakalin77 at gmail.com>
Sent by: users-bounces at openswan.org
02.06.2006 17:01

users at openswan.org
cc

Subject
[Openswan Users] A quick question

Hello everyone,

I was reading a book called "Network Administrators Survival Guide" by
Cisco Press. Over there, at the chapter "Linux based VPN", it says that
the Linux machine that holds the Openswan VPN Server should have a 2
Ethernet NIC cards. One for publicly routed IP address and for the private
network. Is this correct?

 I have a computer in my private network and it has one NIC card. This
machine is a Linux machine, behind a firewall router and has Openswan
2.4.5. So, can't I use this Linux machine as a VPN Server?

One other question is that when I make a host-to-server connection from
remote, What IP address the remote host will take? Is there supposed to be
a DHCP server in the private network where the Openswan Server resides, or
perhaps in the machine that holds Openswan VPN server?

Thank you.

--
Users at openswan.org
Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks with Openswan:

Bu e-posta ve eklerinde verilen bilgiler kisiye ozel ve gizli olup,yalnizca mesajda belirlenen alici ile ilgilidir.
Bu mesajda bulunan tum fikir,gorus ve ekindeki dosyalar sadece adres sahibine ait olup,Hedef Alliance Holding A.S. ve/veya istirakleri hic bir sekilde sorumlu tutulamaz. Sirketimiz mesajin ve bilgilerin size degisiklige ugrayarak veya gec ulasmasindan,butunlugunun ve gizliliginin korunamamasindan,virus icermesinden ve bilgisayar sisteminize verebilecegi herhangi bir zarardan sorumlu tutulamaz.

This message and attachments are confidential and intended solely for the individual(s) stated in this message. This email is not intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding obligation upon Hedef Alliance Holding A.S. and/or any of its subsidiaries or associated companies. Our company shall have no liability for any changes or late receiving,loss of integrity and confidentiality,viruses and any damages caused in anyway to your computer system.