[Openswan Users] pluto eats RAM

Matthias Lembcke lembcke at scan-plus.de
Wed Feb 22 17:51:28 CET 2006

Hi Paul,

>>I don't understand this, at the beginning it takes only
>>30 MB and it takes a long time till it rise.
>

> Please edit programs/pluto/Makefile and enable -DLEAK_DETECTIVE
> Then after one day, nicely restart openswan and it should
> log a LOT of memory info. With those, we might be able to
> detect it.

i'll give it a try. At first i need a test setup to do this, the
other box is productive and the best workaround without much
attention is to restart pluto daily at night.

> We haven't heard of this though. I wonder why you are seeing
> this. Are you sure it is pluto that is eating up all the ram?

yes, i'm sure it's pluto, 'top' shows this (at the moment 6.7%,
when running out of memory ca. 40%). I wonder where the other
memory is going (can't find any other proccess, the kernel?).

I've got other setups (FreeSWAN/OpenSWAN with previous versions)
without this mem leak (also tried to change the HW without success).

Regards,
Matthias