[Openswan Users] pluto eats RAM

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Feb 22 16:30:42 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Matthias Lembcke wrote:

> I've got a problem with Openswan 2.4.4 running with Kernel
> 2.4.28/KLIPS-patch. 6 tunnels are established on this box,
> the clients have a short rekeying interval (2m) - after
> 3 - 4 days pluto consumes 200MB RAM till running out
> of memory. Then the kernel begins to kill processes:
>
> __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
> __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
> VM: killing process ipsec
> __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
> VM: killing process sh
> __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
> VM: killing process sh
>

> I don't understand this, at the beginning it takes only
> 30 MB and it takes a long time till it rise.

Please edit programs/pluto/Makefile and enable -DLEAK_DETECTIVE
Then after one day, nicely restart openswan and it should
log a LOT of memory info. With those, we might be able to
detect it.

We haven't heard of this though. I wonder why you are seeing
this. Are you sure it is pluto that is eating up all the ram?