[Openswan Users] Hanging connections

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Feb 7 22:46:37 CET 2006

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, David Williams wrote:

> I have a gentoo linux gateway (kernel 2.6.15) running openswan 2.4 and
> connecting to a Zxyel 652 router. The connection comes up find and I can ping
> back and forth no problem. However I can only recieve a small amount of data
> before the connection hangs up. For example I start a manual POP3 session from
> the gateway to a computer at the Zyxel end and retrieve 2 small emails and the
> connection just hangs on the third.

sounds like an mtu / packet size issue. tryt openswan 2.4.5rc4 or fragicmp=no.
Otherwise, set the mtu to a smaller size (eg 1400) on the OTHER end.

> I have another gentoo PC, (this one) with a similar config at another location
> and it works fine. The main difference between the two is that the problem
> system is a 64bit AMD Sempron with 64 bit kernel and software while this one
> is a 32bit Athlon. Could that be relevent?

Probably not.

> I had a problem setting the Openswan up because there wasn't enough entropy in
> /dev/random, I had to use /dev/urandom instead when generating a host key.

You should not do that. That key is not random enough for long term usage. Delete
the key, and generate one on a machine that has enough random and copy it to the
host without much random.

"Happiness is never grand"

	--- Mustapha Mond, World Controller (Brave New World)