[Openswan Users] Odd NAT behavior with roadwarrior config

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Fri Aug 18 11:22:02 EDT 2006

Rick Romero wrote:

> I've got a single box on the internet with two interfaces, but I'm not
> using interface 2. I just want to create a vpn tunnel to my subnet.

You mean you've got two interfaces, both interface 1 (external) and
interface 2 (internal) are up but there is no cable connected to
interface 2? That should not be a problem.

> I followed Nate Carlson's ipsec-l2tp page, and it's working 99% ;)

I'm afraid Nate's webpage is not 100% correct, in particular when
NAT is involved.

> I'm able to make a secure connection, ping both the internal and
> external interface, I can even ping anything on the internet.
>
> I can do an nslookup, and I can also telnet to any box on the internet,
> BUT I cannot combine the two :)   So, for example, I can:
>   telnet 216.170.248.235  25
> but I can't
>   telnet mail.havokmon.com 25
> even though I can do an nslookup.

Perhaps it's this problem?
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html#DNS_ignored

Either way, I suspect that it is a Windows network issue. If you
run tcpdump you should be able to see what DNS request are sent
through the connection:

tcpdump -n -l -i ppp0 udp port 53

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl