[Openswan Users] Some problem in ipsec verify command

Andy Gay andy at andynet.net
Thu Aug 10 06:15:41 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 21:14 +0800, Shinping Chen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First at all,
> I come from Non-english country and my english is bad ,
> I try to explain my question in english on my best

It's fine :)

> I try to install Openswan 2.4.4 on Debian linux  Kernel 2.6.13
> I follow openswan document to complie openswan source

Debian have an Openswan package available. But it should be no problem
to compile it yourself instead.
But if you compile it yourself, it would make sense to use the latest
version. 2.4.4 is quite old now. 2.4.6 is the latest.

> # make programs
> #make install
> it's OK!
>
> and start ipsec
> # /etc/init.d/ipsec start
> ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec U2.4.4/K2.6.13...
> OK!

But it's not really OK :)
Your verify is saying pluto is not running. So it probably started and
then crashed.
In Debian, you should check /var/log/auth.log to find out why.