[Openswan Users] Some problem in ipsec verify command

Shinping Chen c64683 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 16:14:23 EDT 2006

Hi all,

First at all,
I come from Non-english country and my english is bad ,
I try to explain my question in english on my best

I try to install Openswan 2.4.4 on Debian linux  Kernel 2.6.13
I follow openswan document to complie openswan source

# make programs
#make install
it's OK!

and start ipsec
# /etc/init.d/ipsec start
ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec U2.4.4/K2.6.13...
OK!

Here is my problem
When I try to verify ipsec status
I got these messages

# ipsec verify
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.4.4/K2.6.13(netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [OK]
>Checking that pluto is running                                  [FAILED]
>whack: is Pluto running?  connect() for "/var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl" failed
(146 Connection refused)
Checking for 'ip' command                                       [FAILED]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
Checking for 'setkey' command for NETKEY IPsec stack support    [FAILED]
Opportunistic Encryption Support                                [DISABLED]

In /var/run/pluto/ directory have  "pluto.ctl",
but  I stop ipsec,this file(pluto.ctl) still in there and got these message

ipsec_setup: Stopping Openswan IPsec...
ipsec_setup: Removing orphaned /var/run/pluto/pluto.pid:

I search on Google in many days  but can't find best solution to solve this
problem
If this question have been discussed in many times,I  apologize

Thanks for ur help!

-Shinping Chen