[Openswan Users] Framed-Route problem - Openswan 2.4.5 + freeradius

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sun Apr 16 23:00:36 CEST 2006

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 10:43:42PM +0200, Radek Antoniuk wrote:
> Is anyone using this setup? (2.4.5 + l2tpns + freeradius). Well, all
> works great, but...
>
> I have two connections on my roadwarrior.
> And if I pick the VPN connection to act as a default gateway, I will
> loose my internet connection. It's obvious.

No, not obvious - and for me it works just fine.

I'm using the built-in Microsoft IPSEC stack and L2TP client (XP SP2 and
Win2000 SP4). I use it to make a pseudo-dialup connection over the Internet.
It learns another defaultroute through this - traffic to the local LAN still
stays local, but all other traffic goes via the tunnel. It all Just Works
[TM].

I am using a Cisco IOS box as the tunnel terminator (my interest in Openswan
is as another client device, not as central terminator). But if you're
saying there's a problem with the Windows client and defaultroute, I'm
saying I don't see this.

> But, if I don't, I would have to manually add static route to the
> networks I want to use. I've tried to use Framed-Route "1.2.3.4
> 255.255.255.255 1" and some combinations, but it doesn't get added to
> the WinXP box.

At best, that would add a route on the tunnel terminator, not on the client.

Regards,

Brian.