[Openswan Users] Broadcasts from roadwarrior

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sun Apr 9 08:47:20 CEST 2006

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 01:17:00AM +0200, Marc McGuinness wrote:
> I need to send broadcasts from a roadwarrior with dynamic ip address
> into my vpn network (192.168.100.0/24). Unfortunately I couldn't find
> any configuration example for this purpose during my investigation. Do I
> have to to provide the roadwarrior with an virtual, internal ip address
> from my dhcp server? I would imagine I've got to make the roadwarrior a
> member of my broadcast domain.
>
> Can anyone help me with a hint or a link, that allows me to continue my
> investigation?

AFAIK, IPSEC cannot be used to protect broadcast traffic. There are
non-IPSEC VPN solutions which can act as bridges rather than routers and
therefore forward broadcasts (e.g. www.tinc-vpn.org, openvpn.net)

Depending on the actual problem which you're trying to fix, there may be a
solution which doesn't involve broadcasts. For example, if you want
broadcasts for Windows NetBIOS name announcements, then the solution is to
stick a WINS server on your network and configure your clients to use this
to register their names (or to use dynamic DNS in newer versions of Windows,
I believe)

HTH,

Brian.